Friday, April 29, 2016

My Very Special Size 6 Dress... You're Really Wearing THAT?!



When I worked at the funeral home, one of my responsibilities was taking in clothing to dress the deceased from families and getting that clothing to our care team on time for the deceased to be fully decked out for his or her services.  Over the time I was there we had full Scottish kilt regalia, military uniforms, tuxedos, ball gowns, wedding dresses, karate gi, cultural garments of all nations, sports team apparel, special dresses, a toga, Hawaiian shirts with flip flops and sunglasses, and every imaginable outfit in between.  For funeral and memorial services, anything goes.  For cremation, the only thing that folks cannot wear is clothing with a large amount of elastic or latex in its construction – so scuba suits are out.  Bike shorts are at the discretion of the funeral director and SPANX are nixed. No shoes for the same smoldering reason.  Our loved ones will exit the world as we enter, barefoot.


At the front desk of the funeral home, my standard answer when asked, “What clothing should we bring to dress (the deceased) in?” was  “Bring whatever you feel would make them comfortable – we will use whatever you bring and people bring everything from pajamas/robes and slippers to formal attire.”  When asked about undergarments, “Whatever you bring, we will use.  Whatever you don’t bring, the team can accommodate or improvise.”  Just enough left unsaid so that if Depends or an Ace bandage wrap was needed to keep one’s accoutrements aligned and presentable, no one was the wiser.  No one needs to know ALL the tricks of the trade.  That’s a whole nother story…

After sharing this information with my mom and some pals, we devised a plan to determine that A) we would not be subject to any undesired viewings in the event of our untimely demise and B) that we would have the last laugh.  Since clothing is often adjusted to fit the current state of the body at death, we determined that this is the only time we will all fit into a size 6 dress.  We give full permission for it to be slit up the back, pinned in place and positioned to cover the major necessities.  Thus, we will be buried, cremated or otherwise disposed of in a size 6 dress, thereby achieving a life-long goal.  


We decided this for a few reasons.  I was surprised how many people desired their family member to be adorned in full undergarments – girdle, bra, pantyhose, slip, shoes, full makeup, false eyelashes, etc.  I’m opting for comfy granny panties and bra to be utilized at the discretion of the care team. For all intents and purposes, we can be shrink-wrapped to keep the attributes in place and the dress pinned and stapled as necessary.  I used to look at folks who brought all the underpinnings in slight disbelief thinking, “Really?  Do you know how hard this is to put on a LIVING person?”  Then there were those who brought NO undergarments.  At all.  We just want him to be comfortable.  Again, I’m thinking, “If he ‘went commando’ (sans skivvies) in real life, I do NOT need to know THAT.”


In the back of my closet is a navy silk sheath made by a classic designer in a chic style with a fabulous navy floral scarf acquired in a trip to China.  The dress is a size 6.  Now I have not comfortably WORN a size 6 dress in several decades but this dress is for a very special occasion.  I won’t be wearing shoes, panty hose, girdle or possibly even a bra, but it will likely fit because it will be the last dress I ever wear and the people dressing me will take liberties to make me look good.  I am being buried in a size 6 dress come hell, high water or act of God, because I believe in their ability to work miracles.  And, because in no way shape or form, will I be viewed at my memorial service.  


I want to be a box of ashes to be shared with the adventurous to spread on every beautiful beach that my friends and family encounter.  I want to be made into a beautiful piece of glasswork and kept somewhere special by my sons.  I want to be submerged in the Great Barrier Reef and mingle with the tropical fishes off the coast of Northeastern Australia.  I want a small amount of my remains to be interred in a wall niche in South King County so my descendants can find my grave easily.  Inside the cemetery gate, turn right, end of the wall.  Eye level, and chosen specifically for that purpose.


Because my death will most likely not occur subject to my demands and expectations, I have made darn sure that my best gal pals and family know the modus operandi for the post-mortem arrangements.  There will be fashionable dresses, fabulous hats, cocktails, appetizers, chocolates and decadence for damn sure – because in the Taoist tradition, death is a celebration to another form of life. 

When my sons were young, we had cake and ice cream to make them unafraid of death.  It worked.  I had to coach them to wait until I had COMPLETED a phone call learning of a death to revel in the fact that refreshments were in order.  The first time we celebrated was after a close neighbor died a brain tumor and sustained a coma over a period of several months.  While she was ill, our oldest son would read Harry Potter books to her in her comatose state when I gave her husband a respite break to run errands.  She never corrected his pronunciation, for which he was happy to keep reading as long as she was quietly listening.  Not a problem.


I’d always feared death before spending much time with dead people at the funeral home.  Those who had lived full lives looked peaceful and like their life’s work had completed.  Those my age or younger gave me more unease.  Deaths due to accident, violence, sudden illnesses or ravaged by disease at young age were harder to process.  Even the paperwork would cause awkward feelings.  In my current job providing home health care to home-bound patients of Medicare age, we have patients well in to their 80s and 90s who are dependent on skilled nursing care to balance the medications and conditions that keep their health from degenerating. When they die, it is often a question of how much medical intervention is the right amount. 

My next job tasks will branch into providing hospice care for those coming to the end of their life span.  It is my hope that at some time in the future, I have the opportunity to be with someone at the hour of their death.  I think that would be a great honor and privilege to be welcome at the end of life to bear the responsibility not to let a person die alone.  It is a promise I made that I was not able to keep once and I feel a deep need to fulfill it within my lifetime.


However, when my time comes, any person with me is going to know the story of the size 6 dress in my closet and that it should be sent with me to the funeral home when I am called home to my eternal reward.  I certainly won’t need it where I’m going, since I will be spending eternity on a stunning white sandy beach on the coast of Australia, my personal vision of Heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment