Sunday, April 10, 2016

See Something; Say Something

Blog post is delayed this week because I pulled off a surprise visit to our son in CA.  He has been a producer in campus production of the MENding Monologues - a by-product of the Vagina Monologues.  No, the guys don't talk about their junk; something far more intrusive, their feelings.  I saw the show twice this weekend and the takeaway messages invite deep thought for much time after the curtain falls.
MENding is a college campus version of a movement that involves men in the process of promoting gender equality, advocates activism against violence against men, women and children throughout the world and coaches responses to prevent campus rape, date rape, bullying and hate crimes against LGBTQ students by empowering all to stand as ONE and stand up proactively against those who commit these acts.
The production has some humorous performances, some very hard-hitting social commentary and challenges the audience to stand up and resist the opportunity to just ignore things and not get involved.  Some portions are written and performed by students from their own experience.  These kids are in their late teens and early 20s.  They have a vast amount of experience on the subject and have strong commitment to ongoing activism.
In line at the airport for the remove your shoes and show us all your goods dance, I noticed the "see something; say something" sign regarding suspicious activity. It was in another airport that I did, but not regarding terrorist activity; or was it?  
When traveling, with ample time to kill, I people watch.  I had the opportunity to spend a great deal of time people watching due to my mom's tendency to overestimate the time needed to arrive and get through security.  The airline wouldn't check our bags until 3 hours before the flight - which gives you some idea of the magnitude of the time I had at my disposal.
While people-watching, I noticed that several teen-aged girls' volleyball teams were assembled in the airport in groups. It looked like they were returning or traveling to a regional competition.  Many of the girls were wearing very short shorts and I kept noticing the same guy around them - but not in a good way.  
He wasn't the coach or a chaperone.  He was furtive.  He always had his cell phone out like he was filming or taking photos and I maneuvered around with the intent of seeing exactly what was going on.  I hoped that my suspicions were wrong and he was just reading texts or something.  
From behind him about 2 feet I watched him film 2-3 girls in short shorts from behind as they bent over to adjust their bags, stretched to pick up something off the floor or tie their shoes. HE was DOING exactly what I suspected and the hair on the back of my neck stood up.  The bile in my gut jumped to my throat.  I thought for about FIVE quick seconds and then I acted.  I walked right up to a FEMALE SECURITY/TSA agent and asked her to look over my shoulder and described the guy and his activity I had observed.  He was doing the same thing again WHILE she watched.  She left and returned a short time later with three LARGE male federal marshals.  
By this time, he was already on board the plane, on my flight and we were herded into the jetway like cattle.  The marshals came through and asked us to stand to one side as they entered the plane.  I was nervous, I was anxious - I knew I was doing the right thing, but it was unnerving.  I took off my jacket to disguise myself a bit and squeezed closer to the people in front of me.  I told the imposing guy closest to me what was going on.  HE was shocked, repulsed and appreciative that I had alerted authorities.  He and his two sons put themselves between me and the marshals deplaning with the suspect.  One had the phone in a clear plastic evidence bag and the perpetrator was sweating buckets.  I don't have any idea what happened beyond that. 
Thankfully I don't think the girls he filmed ever even knew they were being filmed, photographed, observed and exploited.  
Would their clothing and naivete be called into question if they had known?  WHY?
How many of their chaperones had missed this event?  HOW HAD they not noticed?
Would one of them have had the courage to handle this?   WHY NOT?
I didn't wait to find out. I made it my business to act up and protect them.
I was proud my maternal fierceness took over and said, "OH, HELL NO, this is NOT OK!"
I acted in the manner I would want someone to act to protect MY children from being exploited. Until we ALL act in ways to protect each other from acts of violence, exploitation, intimidation, hatred, oppression and bullying, WE are victims as well as perpetrators.  In the past, I would have thought, 'I don't want to get involved', 'I don't want to raise a fuss', 'I do not have time for this', 'Someone else will step up, someone else will know what to do.'  The action took a total of 2 MINUTES. 
DON'T CHOOSE TO DO NOTHING. Even if you are wrong, it bears further investigation.  Choose to no longer look the other way.  The scarred psyche you save may be your own.  No regrets about doing the right thing.  Inaction will haunt you for choosing the cowardly path and choosing to be blind to the wrongs. How many people looked the other way and let children in our generation down?  How many of us needed someone to see something and say something.  Silence is no longer a solution, and has long been part of the problem.  SEE SOMETHING; SAY SOMETHING.
At the end of Mending Monologues, the audience is invited to stand if they or someone they know is a survivor of sexual assault.  1 in 3 is the statistic; everyone stands.  It touches all people in all forms of life of all ages.  SEE SOMETHING; SAY SOMETHING. 

No comments:

Post a Comment