Sunday, March 1, 2020

Social media fasting

Lent started last week.  I made the choice to give up social media access because I wanted to spend more time in positive activities rather than running down click bait rabbit holes, being goaded into online debate on political positions and free myself from judgement and being judgmental.

I spent more time walking outside, re-learned how to crochet and cranked out 3 lap quilts for a senior center to distribute to their clientele, cared for two ill friends, planned a party, read more, cooked healthy meals, went to the gym, worked out with friends, went out with friends, talked to my spouse more, snuggled my cat more, spent time with my parents, wrote more, and read far more than I had in the last year.  It was a very enriching time to learn more about the things I find drive my passions.  Caring for others, educating myself, creating something from nothing, enjoying simple times with those I treasure.

As two friends enter hospice for life ending illnesses, the focus of what is truly important becomes abundantly clear.  It's not what you give or have that matters to people, it's what you give of yourself - effort, knowledge, time, tasks they can no longer do independently, taking care of the daily minutia that is now beyond someone with dementia, making a little extra of a simple meal to share. 

What became readily apparent as Lent progressed is that though I intended to subtract something from my live to make room for more important endeavors, the result ended up enriching my life in more ways than what I relinquished.  It was hard to avoid going to facebook to see what friends and family were up to, and I slipped a few times... to be honest.  It was hard not to post a witty quip in Twitter and just share it with my husband.  It was hard to write several blog posts and SAVE them, rather than posting right away...

But the long term benefits far out weigh the brief inconveniences, as is usually the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment