Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Rehoming is chaos put into perspective

For the last 2 weeks, we've been moving.  For the second time in less than 11 months.  And it is in every way a beast, a burden, and a luxury.  Moving is to take all of your worldly belongings, plop them on a floor in a new to you home and try for the next several weeks to be functional while living out of boxes and finding places for the things that you have so lovingly hauled.  The term downsizing doesn't apply to us in this instance.  What we have done technically is upside-down sized.  We sold our family home that was too big, moved to a condo with more stairs than storage and then found a just right house with 2000sf and no stairs and lake views that will engage us for years in wasting time staring at the waterfowl and changing colors of the landscape, sky and lake. 

The whole time I've been moving, cleaning the old place, pulling items from storage I haven't seen in a year to reconsider if they have a place in our life as it is now, I've had strange thoughts.  What if I had to pull together only what would fit in a backpack, grocery cart or what I could carry on my person to live day to day? 
What would I take if I were homeless? 
What are the things that would do dual duty and be worth their weight?
What would change about my priorities?
What would it feel like to be more minimalist and let some of the things go that I feel overwhelmed finding a Place for here?

No comments:

Post a Comment