Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Karmic Merry Go Round





The Karmic Merry-Go-Round

Karma is the theory that if one does good deeds; good will come back to you in kind.  Consequently, if you do evil; you get what you give.  Living with a latent Buddhist and a relaxed Taoist, it’s no surprise that my theory of life encompasses doing more good than evil in the world to keep the karmic scales in balance.  Finding a $20 bill in the parking lot and donating it to charity will do more good in the world, than using it to feast on wine and chocolates.  But if I’m full of wine and chocolates, my world outlook among the wingnuts of the world is vastly improved.   Why people who are inconsiderate, chronically late and just plain self-centered really rise my ire is a no-brainer… but that’s a whole nother story for another day.

While searching for a full-time job in 2013, I was intrigued by a post for a job as the front desk administrative assistant at a local funeral home.  After leaping the hoops and applying online, I decided to go the extra mile and hand-deliver a resume and cover letter to the location posting the ad.  I entered the stately reception area and met Rosie, the relief receptionist who was trying to cover all the bases until a suitable replacement was found.  She was polite, courteous and encouraged my efforts to make a personal contact.  

I later learned she sprinted my resume and credentials to the desk of the decision maker and said “WE are hiring this chick.  She can do the job and exhibits the impression we want – and I want to work with her.”  Enough said.  Weeks later Rosie (not her real name - but she'll appreciate that I used the name from an AC/DC song AND the maid on The Jetsons - but I digress) was my right hand as I learned the ropes of managing the air traffic control center known as the front desk of a funeral home.  More paperwork and fewer heebie-jeebies than one might think.  After seeing more deceased persons in my first six weeks than I had in my previous 40 years, it was like herding Muppets.  Plus they don’t complain much. 

Keeping the place from crashing and burning on a daily basis became our modus operandi and specialty on a daily basis.  Not without the help of other able coworkers, and not without the foibles of other said wingnuts.  We did everything from adjust floral displays, to plunge toilets, cleaned up after spoiled children THREW meatballs down the hallways during funeral receptions, set and reset chapel chairs until our arms gave out – we had it down to a 30 minute process.  Consistently tasks beyond the scope and depth of our job descriptions – which barely scratched the surface of our day to day service for clients, coworkers and the public.  When tempers flared, we were the first line of defense, and were rarely acknowledged or appreciated for taking the flak.

Further down the road, after handling the job for just over a year, I experienced physical symptoms consistent with PTSD.  Nausea, digestive complications, headaches, unexplained pain, anxiety, depression and sought to reduce my hours and seek medical intervention to alleviate the symptoms.  After a time, it became apparent that leaving the position was the best choice.  NOT surprisingly, I had a significant reduction in symptoms.  I also witnessed in others some of the same responses to continuous stress I had experienced.  When after a time, I landed a job with good management in a proactive company with a good purpose in life – keeping elderly persons able to age in place in a retirement community—I sought to bring my favorite former colleagues to a more favorable environment. 

When a clerical position opened, I mentioned my right hand gal, Rosie, to the manager and she was eager to meet her.  It became readily apparent she was over-qualified for the intended job, but could amply fill a position for which we currently had a challenging employee.  A truce was made, the employee decided it was in her best interest to leave and the job was posted.  Happy dance.  My endorsement was enough to give her credibility to be hired.

Rosie not only has skills that can handle the current job, but to alleviate some other areas where we need assistance.  Her motto of “See a need; fill a need” will be welcomed in this environment.  Her initiative will be rewarded and she will be challenged in good ways, not challenged to restrain her enthusiasm. The karmic wheel turns and I get Rosie just down the hall again.  A company that seeks to expand and invest in the quality of life for elders gets a team of superheroes to be reckoned with.  We leave our capes at home and wear sensible shoes, but we will be walking with a spring in our step as we lap the campus and renew our acquaintance.  My karma is getting a tune up and the future ahead looks... rosy. 

Speaking of karma, the Carpe the Heck out of the Diem! T-shirts are available until 2/14… order a dozen!  More interesting than roses!

No comments:

Post a Comment